I've been meaning to work on this post for ages, but you know how life goes and it seems that the more I have to blog about, the less time I have to do it... so it goes. Bonus points to the person who can name the book that the title of this blog bastardizes (without looking on "the" google.) In interest of keeping things interesting and probably because I have had a lot of coffee and tea this morning in preparation for a long day of studying I am going to regal you with the story of how my bike fell of the free way from the end of the story to the beginning...I uploaded the pictures in that order and I am going to just roll with it... :-) The story ends that my bike is now fully functional thanks to the nice people at Mike's Bike's in Berkeley. I highly recommend them, not only are they a competent bunch of folks when it comes to bike mechanics, but also pretty nice people in general.
And finally, the best part was that the magical unicorn bus that was following us on the freeway that day also pulled into the same rest stop. I am not sure what the occupation or destination of these people might be, but my educated guess is that they were likely headed to burning man. Erik and I were really pleased to make face to face contact with the people responsible for bringing so much joy to our highway driving by virtue of their colourful vehicle, which he and I had passed a few times that day.
This is my face after we took the wheel off my bike. I can't believe that it happened, but after swearing a bit, including dropping a few f-bombs I looked on the bright side that it was just the wheel! The frame was completely fine and no one else was hurt.
So while I was bemoaning the loss of a wheel and thus my literal wheels (as the kids say) once arriving in California, Erik strapped my bike to the car secure as can be where it would ride safely all the way to Berkeley.
While cruising down I-5 my eagle eyed brother said to me "that bike is moving too much" and pulled over immediately. Looks like we hit a bump and the bike rack shook and the back wheel bounced on the free way at close to 70 mph.... ouch. I am so glad that Erik saw it that quickly, because it could have been much worse. When I brought the bike in to have it repaired and looked at the shop worker told me that it was the most messed up wheel he had ever seen!
This is my bike safely strapped to the back of Erik's car with the new hat I gave the seat so that it would be safe in the rain! Also I wanted to get a photo of the giant mushrooms on the top of Oregon Gifts. God bless you Oregon, bunch of nutters.
After a few hours of driving, Erik and I stopped in Portland to have coffee with our friend and my old housemate, Mike. Mike and Phoenix lived with me and others in Tacoma and it was great to stop in and see them! Erik is giving a thumbs up because I was a little worried that my bike would be stolen whilst we were drinking our conversation cup of coffee... it wasn't.
Ready to go!! Outside my parent's house before the long drive down to California! Rock and roll!

While cruising down I-5 my eagle eyed brother said to me "that bike is moving too much" and pulled over immediately. Looks like we hit a bump and the bike rack shook and the back wheel bounced on the free way at close to 70 mph.... ouch. I am so glad that Erik saw it that quickly, because it could have been much worse. When I brought the bike in to have it repaired and looked at the shop worker told me that it was the most messed up wheel he had ever seen!
No comments:
Post a Comment