Sunday, August 29, 2010

Berkeley or Bust

After a few whirlwind days with my family, my lovely brother, Erik, and I set off for the sunny south. We left early Saturday morning. I highly recommend this as it makes for much less traffic and then by the time we got to Oregon a few hours later it was time for a coffee break!
Our coffee break plans were with my old housemates Mike and Phoenix. Mike and Phoenix were getting married the following weekend. I was unable to attend the wedding, so Erik and I made a point to stop and catch up. It had been since the preceding November that that we were able to hang out, after all. Plus Mike had taught Pheo a few more tricks, that alone was worth the Portland stop!
Mike's place is full of wedding presents. One of them is a cupcake making kit that includes this apron. Mike refused to model it for the camera, but I reckon that is just because he already wears the apron so much and he doesn't want his fiance, Mandy, to know that it is his favorite gift! Congratulations to Mike and Mandy! :)
Erik got really excited about this motorcycle. I like the colour and am impressed with the fact he is wearing a backpack whilst riding the bike down I-5. cool factor? 100.
en route... we had great weather and a great mix of music for sing along; artists including but not limited to: Pearl Jam, Regina Spektor, Dispatch and Chicago.
We had to stop here. Mostly because of the super sized American Flag but also because of the only slightly less large psychedelic mushrooms on the roof of the Oregon Gift Shop. wow.
I bought these. I actually was in the gas station and I said to myself: "You know what sounds good? Hostess Snowball cakes." REALLY? Readjusting to American culture by fire!
Good bye Oregon! See you soon!
There was so much rain that we had to drop the speed down to 30mph in an 70mph zone. Holy sudden flash floods batman. But I think Erik and I both agree that north of Redding and into southern Oregon is some of the most beautiful scenery on the drive.
I never though I would be back to California. I actually said many times that I would never live here again, but I have to give it to you Cali... you do make some of the most gorgeous sunsets. Thanks for having me back :)

No comments: