Thursday, August 12, 2010

London Town

One last hurrah! Fiona and I traveled down to London last weekend to visit Maddy and Matt in their new flat. Before I go on about what a great time we all had together, or at least I had with them! I will say that elephant and castle is the worst tube stop in the London Underground. First of all there is no way to get out of the tube stop save by lift/elevator. When Fiona and I arrived, not being privy to this information, we walked around in circles looking for the stairs of the escalator so commonly found in most tube stations. Once we did finally emerge victorious from our underground prison there was a maze of subway tunnels to navigate to actually reach out friend that was waiting on the other side of the roundabout. It starting to feel like we were gophers popping up and looking for Maddy and then back underground, Maddy would appear at yet another place and Fiona and I would be where she was just previous, etc. Eventually we did manage to connect, but man... if you can avoid elephant and castle I think it is the way forward.
Maddy and I were protected from the rain in polka dot bliss. <3>
This is a great stop next time you are in London. I had been to Borough Market once before, and it was just as good this time as the last. One aspect of London I really enjoy is that there are myriad markets around the city, fruit stands, local wine shops, etc. It makes it possible for people to buy locally more easily. The market is great because whilst it is not the cheapest place to purchase items, if you look carefully it is possible to get good deals on fruit and veg... and oh the cakes are delicious. :)

Wondering down the left bank with the obligatory stop in front of Shakespeare's Globe... we did not end up going to the Globe to see a play this weekend. However, I think we did quite well procuring tickets to see As You Like It at the Old Vic. The performance was a joint effort by both American and British actors. The best part was that our ten pound limit leg room seats were upgraded to 5 row orchestra! Yes please! Great view, great price, great evening :)

In addition to trying on my first fashionable playsuit. (blog entry regarding this issue to follow) on Portobello Road we came across a cheese with my name. :)

we had a great weekend with theatre, pubs, late night scrabble, delicious food (Maddy made the most lovely marinade for a halloumi vegetable kebabs!) and lots of laughter. I will miss my friends and look forward to visiting soon. :)

It is hard to believe that I will be leaving England soon, it doesn't really feel like I am moving, but just leaving for a little while. Perhaps that is because I do travel quite a bit that going to the states is nothing new for me. I had had a few discussions with people about the fact that even though I am moving back to the states, it still feels like I am "going away to university"... because though a mere 14 hour drive from my childhood home, Berekeley, CA is going to be a new place entirely for me. Going away to university, I just can't seem to sort from where I am leaving?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your blog - It is really nice that there is a place where I can read and see pictures about all our adventures whenever I miss you!

Maddy :)

Unknown said...

Not to mention that traveling to Berkely only takes a day and I can drive! Yes! Now I can come escape to see you again! I can't wait! :-) You make your brother happy. I love you.