So in the US of A, as we all know... we have myriad sales, all with their own special name, I will list a few:
back to school sale!
labor day sale!
memorial day sale!
holiday clearance!
day after Thanksgiving sale!
close-out clearance sale!
4th of July sale!
The list is endless.
In England, things are a touch more simple. There are simply 'The Sales'. That's right. Four times a year corresponding with the seasons most every store in town has a clearance sale of some kind... So when talking with the natives, if they get a bargain on something during one of these times periods they reference it as, "oh yah! I got this in 'The Sales" It took me a few seasons to understand what was happening. It makes sense, clearing out stock from one season to the next, but I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that ALL the stores (almost) were having a sale.
I think I now have the hang of it and have been able to join in on this bit of English shopping culture... "that's nice, but I think I will wait to see if it is on offer during the sales." Those words have passed through my lips I am proud to say. You may be asking yourself, what does it mean to be 'on offer'? Well! Since you asked, when things are 'on offer' it means they are at a discounted price, people in the states would say, 'on sale'. From what I understand, saying something is 'on sale' on this side of the pond just means that you are able to purchase it and does not connote a discount of any kind.
Also, stores in this country close at 5pm everyday with the exception of 'late night' shopping which happens on Thursday. On this very special day, the stores (shops) in downtown (city centre) stay open until a crazy late hour of 7pm. At first I was a little surprised by this, when do people buy their clothes? Take days off? Saturday? But it seems to me that it speaks well of English culture that their evening social outings are not shaped around 'going to the mall' as I did in my youth. I quite like that. They go to pubs. I like that too :)
Yesterday was a big day in the life of my clothing wardrobe. I bought a pair of jeans for 9.99 at GAP. They are black jeans, in the skinny style. I never thought I would see the day. I am sure that the tens and tens of readers of my blog are thinking... 'I don't even know you anymore' 'what is this new British Rachel' and some are thinking '9.99! steal! bargain! go for it!' well I had both of those thoughts when trying them on. At first put them back and reasoned that I don't know if I would wear them, but in the end, they are a tenner... I went for it. I hope you have found that inspiring.
Okay. Back to work. I move tomorrow! Tomorrow! and need to pack, but more pressing than that is prep for the meeting with my thesis tutor at noon (midday).
No comments:
Post a Comment