Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bowness-on-Windermere

Windermere is a beautiful body of water in the Lake District and was our first stop on our holiday camping adventure! We pulled the car over in Bowness-on-Windermere, this is a lovely little town on the water. Tim and I drove past lots of people taking ridiculous pictures. I deem it ridiculous to take a picture with normal and even ugly things in the background (examples include, strange warehouses, street crossings, cars, toilets, really anywhere that seems to block traffic appeared to be a hot spot) when there are so many beautiful spots in this particular part of the country. Usually the picture was one person posing with a peace sign whilst the other took a picture of them in front of a rubbish bin or duck. Below Tim and I have a variation of this idea. Except ours is awesome.

This is the classic Bowness-on-Windermere picture; I felt compelled to take it as well. The wood boats are really beautiful.

What is also cool is the food we ate on our short stop in this provincial little town. We were walking up one of the side roads past all these great shops and then the siren call of chips captured the noses of Tim and me. We went to purchase bread, butter and ketchup to enjoy some chip butties. The best part of this adventure took place when I went back to the car to butter the bread (whilst Tim waited in a monstrously long line for the chips)...There I was, sitting on the curb by the side of the car, bundled up and buttering bread on a metal camping bowl... As parents walked passed with their children, they freely stared at this strange hiking boot and skirt wearing girl buttering numerous slices of white bread. I could tell they were amused... and I could also tell that I would be used as a warning to their children of what can happen to them when you don't finish your homework. etc. Tim soon rejoined this Gypsy lady (me) buttering bread on the curbside and we found a friendly looking bench on which to enjoy our snack and listen to the ducks laugh. A good way to start a holiday :)

No comments: