Monday, July 27, 2009

More highlights from the camping trip extrodinaire!

This was the view from the beach area at our campground. I know! How beautiful!? The campground is in an ideal location: beautiful waterfront, quick walk into town for a pint, even quicker walk to peruse the posh grocery store, Booths, and our tent pitch was right up against a small river.

Whilst setting up the tent (in a brief moment of non-rain that we had) Somehow! through a combined effort of putting on the rain fly we managed to rip the hole in it that you see pictured above. I had Tim put his hand next to it so you could see the size. Now, the forecast was for rain, and in the Lakes you will can count on that being true. We went on an unsuccessful search for duct tape and in the end fashioned a makeshift solution with some bin liners. Worked quite well! After we found duct tape the next day, it was fixed completely, and I think it adds more character to an already great tent.
We tested Tim's new camping stove with a fajita feast!! It was so delicious! What is it about camping food that makes it taste so good? Even the worst meal is better eaten whilst camping. another thing I like about camping is the way that it takes so long to cook everything, you really get to spend time together making meals. As long as you have some snacks so no one gets too ravenous, it is good times had by all.

I was the slicer/chopper/cheese grater/ hand Tim stuff from the tent and the 'kitchen' area person.


We went to this really great coffee shop that Tim says reminds him of Italy. Well, if the coffee shops in Italy are anything like this one, I think I shall be very happy to visit there. The place had a huge stack of board games, and we selected backgammon. Some of the pieces had gone missing and were replaced with other odds and ends, buttons, dice, 2 pence pieces, but it worked!Mark your calendars: I want an ale named after me for my 90th birthday. What a gift! This place had, in addition to really great coffee, sandwiches and ale of which we did not partake, and chocolate cake, which we did. Delicious.

This is another view of Derwentwater. Lovely, no?


After a really tasty sandwich lunch, I balanced my camera on my bag,on the dock and gingerly walked out to the end in ten seconds or less to take this picture... careful not to knock the camera too far off balance and into the water. I think I was mildly successful, the camera didn't go in the water and I think the angle of the shot adds some charm. :)

4 comments:

em said...

First of all, GORGEOUS camping spot! Second, I am jealous. And third, the picture of you two on the dock reminds me of something from a novel. I love it. And you. Of course.

xo

Kelly M said...

Um, this is awesome. I really like the ale. I'll remember it. Actually, with our family's ability to lose memory as time goes on, you might want to write it down for me.

John in NH said...

oh camping in the rain, sounds like Vermont! looks like you all had fun, lakes region is such a nice spot to be!

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun! You are an awesome camper in the "half tent."

I love you sister! Yay for being able to comment. (actually now I know that I can...I didn't know I could before...)