Sunday, September 7, 2008

England!

I have arrived... after three plans, two trains, one bus, and a car ride later, I am finally arrived in Leeds :o) 30 hours or so after departure from Sea-Tac.

Love northern England so far, we had a bit of sunny weather today, and it was a nice treat to travel and see the country side via train with the sunshine. I a bit tired, so this won't be too terribly long of a blog, except to say that I have thus far met the nicest people. At the Manchester Airport, some nice ladies helped me find the correct train to bring me to Leeds, sat with me the whole time, and at every turn there were people offering to help move my enormous luggage load, very hospitable. The accent is not so bad as of yet, though I have to say when the two ladies a fore mentioned sat next to me at the bus stop at first, I said to myself, "what language are they speaking?" then went..."oh. English." Then if I listened more closely then I could understand, and certainly when they talked to me I understood. At this point thought, I'm so exhausted, that I don't even form proper sentences myself....

Jim picked me up at the train station and I tried to get in on the drivers side, I keep doing that because it is so automatic for me, when passengering to go to the right side of the car, both times he has noticed this reflex, he responses with "trying to drive again?" It is something which I am going to have to get used to.

After a bit of a nap this afternoon we went over to Jim's friend, Bara's, for dinner. She is so delightful, from the Czech Republic and studying at Leeds. She made this lovely butternut squash risotto with peas, and then an apple pie for dessert :o) She is also a vegetarian and loves to cook, and read, and read cookbooks.

It is interesting, it didn't occur to me that I am actually leaving Tacoma, and here in England now, until the plan ride. I was looking at the pictures that Jonathan put on my Zoon, and made me happy, but also sad, I will really miss my family, that includes both blood relatives, friends and Phoenix... When I left my room the other morning, nearly empty, hugged Phoenix and Mike goodbye, that is when it hit me that I was really leaving. I had a few moments that morning before Krissy came to pick me up and drive me to my parents to then drive me to the airport, to stand on my porch and kind of soak in the street, the lights, the grass, the trees, and remembered all the great times I have had in that front yard, and on that porch...

Okay...That is as much as I can type at this time, because I am quite tired and need to get some rest. But I arrived safely have received much hospitality here.

Looking forward to flying to Paris tomorrow to see Eryn!!

1 comment:

Kelly M said...

Yay! Now I can leave you a comment! Thanks!