Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ani DiFranco and stupid people; not in that order.


This last week I have listened to much Ani DiFranco, and have come to the conclusion that I like her lyrics, much... and want to share them with you muchos.... oh manifestation of my soul in musical format, Ani....But before I get to that... I was driving to work enjoying my mixed tape of Ani and began following behind someone with this bumper sticker:

"If you don't stand behind our troops,
please feel free ...
to stand in front of them."

I want to run the woman off the road, but realized that was the wrong response, both because it was full of rage, and it would make me late to work... and let's face it WAY more violent than the propaganda on her bumper, it were better I could find that silver haired woman and take her to tea, and see what the hell she was thinking with a bumper sticker like that. I decided that because it is now Saturday and this happened on... oh... Tuesday... it was an event worth noting. I mean, I can kind of see how someone might maybe think that was a little funny possibly... but, no. not really... because basically what it says to me is: "hey if you don't' blindly support our government and military, we are going to kill you." I feel she was conveying not only that people will but should be shot. Not a great way to start a day...

Isn't there enough violence and hate in the world today? Do we need to put anymore of that negativity into our country? Intolerance is stupid, I want to throw rocks at it.

okay. that feels better to have said. Maybe bloglanderfolk I will make it up to you for the previous rant-ish section about bumper stickers (I have by the way found a solution to this problem... bikes) by posting some lovely lyrics for you. I like them so much as to search for them on the google and copy them for you, right now.. even though I am wicked tired from many hours of hard laborious activities this day. haha. anyway. I am particularly stuck on the following song lately, I love their poetic value. Such fucking awesome choices in diction, with layered meanings... I heart extended metaphors. If you are not as lucky, as I, to have a mixed CD and tape or Ani DiFranco songs, I suggest going and at least find a way to listen to this song: Overlap.

i search your profile
for a translation i study
the conversation like a map
`cause i know there is strength
in the differences between us
and i know there is comfort
where we overlap
come here
stand in front of the light
stand still
so i can see your silhouette
i hope you have got all night
`cause i`m not done looking,
no, i`m not done looking yet
each one of us
wants a piece of the action
you can hear it in what we say
you can see it in what we do
we negotiate with chaos
for some sense of satisfaction i
f you won`t give it to me
at least give me a better view
come here
stand in front of the light
stand still
so i can see your silhouette
i hope you have got all night
`cause i`m not done looking no,
i`m not done looking yet
i build each one of my songs
out of glass
so you can see me inside of them
i suppose
or you could just leave the image of me
in the background, i guess
and watch your own reflection superimposed
i build each one of my days out of hope
and i give that hope your name
and i don`t know you that well
but it don`t take much to tell
either you don`t have the balls
or you don`t feel the same
come here
stand in front of the light
stand still
so i can see your silhouette
i hope you have got all night
`cause i`m not done looking no,
i`m not done looking yet
i search your profile for a translation
i study the conversation like a map
`cause i know there is strength
in the differences between us
and i know there is comfort
where we overlap

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boring and stupid