Monday, June 21, 2010

Whitby, UK

My first trip to a coastal town in the northeast of England! The experience made all that sea side marketing at Fat Face (store where I used to work) come to life! ahem. Maddy, Fiona and I embarked on a journey that was destined to leave us short of petrol, full of delicious fish and chips and pretty darn tired. It was a great day. :)

There are a ton of seagulls on the coast. They kept diving into all my photos... I think this one had a pretty good result... though the gull could have been more accommodating and appeared fully in the photo.

This is one of the signature sights and sounds of the coastal towns... the arcades. Very popular place to lose your money. For me, they are a touch too jam packed with flashing lights for me to find it appealing. Though I did enjoy the really old machines that look like something out of a scary movie... like they might come to life at night or something... this fact did not entice me to use them... but I can see how someone might write a really bad scary book about them. Dan Brown? Your next big hit??
Seaside

Rock candy is a another seaside tradition. Each town has its own version of rock and if you break it open it has the name of the town written really tiny inside. Tough to explain... even more difficult to eat.
Maddy and I always end up taking photos that make us look like a a happy couple (I think it is because we are.)
the Abbey! and Fiona! Fiona gets the credit for thinking of this outing. Whitby is the town that Dracula visits when he stops by in England. Yup. nerds we are, nerds we will remain.
I put this photo on because I actually climbed the abbey walls illegally to take it, there is no legal way to climb the walls as a matter of reference. But Maddy and Fiona did a fine job giving me a boost. :)

3 comments:

Kelly M said...

This looks fun! The rock candy seems confusing...miss you!

Unknown said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!

Kenny said...

I had to stop everything I was doing to comment that your dress matches the rock candy. I will likely never see something similar in my life.