One aspect of England that I really love is the ubiquitous presence of used book shops. My personal favorite is Oxfam books in Chester. I can walk by and have a quick look at the "just in" section every time I walk into town! :) On one such occasion I managed to snag a book called: "Grow Your Own Drugs" by James Wong. A book based on his series on the BBC.
Since summer is all around us and the world seems to be blooming here in England, I am inspired to do some foraging and using a friend's book entitled "Food for Free" have tried collecting ingredients to use to make meals. :) Kind of like dumpster diving except in nature and not in alleyways.
First on the trial was the great Stinging Nettle. I have wanted to try Nettle soup for ages. I've heard of its health benefits, but couldn't seem to work past the fact that I don't really care for creamy soups, and most recipes called for about a bucket of heavy cream to offset the taste of the nettles.
Since summer is all around us and the world seems to be blooming here in England, I am inspired to do some foraging and using a friend's book entitled "Food for Free" have tried collecting ingredients to use to make meals. :) Kind of like dumpster diving except in nature and not in alleyways.
First on the trial was the great Stinging Nettle. I have wanted to try Nettle soup for ages. I've heard of its health benefits, but couldn't seem to work past the fact that I don't really care for creamy soups, and most recipes called for about a bucket of heavy cream to offset the taste of the nettles.
We went collecting anyway.
The young nettle tips are the best for the job
I came home and dumped the lot into a pot of water and boiled it to heck to make a recipe for nettle hair tonic found in the James Wong book. Everybody wants stronger hair!
1 large bunch of nettle leaves
500ml of water
500ml of white vinegar
1tbsp aromatic herbs or 10 drops of essential oil (like lavender or rosemary)
MAKE IT: Simmer nettles in the water and vinegar for 2 hours, then stir the aromatic herbs or essential oil and allow mixture to cool. Strain through sieve lined with fine-weaved muslin. Filter bottles.
USE: Apply to scalp every other night as a hair-strengthening tonic, or use as a leave-in, final rinse after shampooing.
STORAGE: keeps for one month.
No comments:
Post a Comment