I know these seems like an odd combination, and indeed, it very well might be. In the spirit of John Donne's conceits, I thought I would write a little blog entry that connect two seemingly disparate things, and share one of the many idiosyncrasies of my life which makes it that much more full and makes the world a little more Rachelified.
Today I was listening to my mp3 player on the way to the library, and upon arriving to the library the song, "Take Me Or Leave Me" from the Original Rent Soundtrack began playing. If you are not familiar with this little ditty, let me briefly share with you that it is two women singing to each other about how they are completely different, and want the other to understand and "take me for who I am," and both threaten to call it quits to the whole relationship. There is one particularly brilliant bit where the two women belt out, "Women! What is it about them!? Can't live with them or without them!"
This song is one of my favorites to sing quite loudly in my room, so my flatmates are fairly familiar with the music and I think learning the words a little more every time. :o)
Return to library: This afternoon, I am walking up the stairs to the section of the library where I spend a good deal of my time (4th floor between G and H) and maybe it was the sunny day, maybe it was the good breakfast, or truffles from Charlotte, but the music MOVES me, so I check to see no one is looking and do a little dance and mouth the words to the rest of the song all the while envisioning a musical taking place in my library (which I think would be amazing.) Stifling my laughter a bit as to not completely fulfill the stereotype of a loud American and also to not disturb the other library patrons, I regain my composure and find a seat (near the Shakespearean Criticism) and settle into my reading of John Donne and George Herbert.
It was a good moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment