Friday, August 17, 2012

Tenby, Wales- Part One- The Rainy Season

For a bit of vacation before starting my internship, I headed to one of my favorite spots: Pembrokeshire. Pembrokeshire is in South West Wales and so beautiful. Tim and I were deciding between St. David's and Tenby as places to go camping, but as the weather forecast was dubious, we chose Tenby... many more options for a rainy afternoon. Plus there are cool signs... like the one above and the one below :)
 Even though the weather was grim for the first two days, we ventured out onto the Beach, it was especially nice when the tide was out. Here is a view of those pastel buildings of Tenby from the beach!

 Rain jackets and wet hair--this is the kind of beach to which I am accustomed. I think there must be many people who think "beach" and think sunshine and swimming. But I grew up in Washington State and the "beach" to me means turning over rocks to look for little crabs, wind, rain jackets, kites, and candy shops. So the rainy day at Tenby suited me just fine.  Note the umbrella in the photograph above.

 This is the view of Tenby as we walked down from our campsite. Tenby is really beautiful, there were loads of little tea shops where we had afternoon cream teas... or as I ordered: 

me: "Hi, may I please have two scones with jam and clotted cream and two cups of tea with milk?" waiter: "So, two cream teas?"
me: "ah. yes. thank you. that would be the shorter way of saying it."

They were delicious.
 This is the North Beach in Tenby, it was great to walk on it on the way to town, even with the rainy weather. There is something really relaxing about being out and on the beach. When the tide is in, it goes well passed that rock and I feel extra sneaky and cool that I get walk on the part that is normally under water...it is the little things.
This is a picture of Tenby from the beach in the picture above. Not a bad way to walk into town for a cup of tea, eh? 

No comments: