Sunday, July 22, 2012

She's Crafty- Holden's Craft Cave

Weaving a new yoga mat strap! My intention was to make a pastor's stole. Unfortunately/fortunately, I had the wrong beginning pattern so I ended up weaving this instead. At first I wasn't sure what I would do with my new creation, then I realized that I have wanted, for a long time, a strap for my yoga mat, so it can ride on my back while I bike. perfect! So with a few buttons here and sewing there... it should be a very successful venture.

Weaving a big rug out of scrap fabric comprised mostly of a generous duvet donation (the green portion) from my friend, Brad, and cut up t-shirts annexed from the lost and found. Working on a giant loom is so fun. I am pretty sure I earned some sort of 18th century merit badge for my work.

I signed up for a block printing class on my day off  in Holden. SO FUN! I think I have found my new favorite hobby. I walked up to Chalet Hill so I could get a good view of the canyon and made a little sketch. Then you transfer the sketch onto the lino-cut base and carve away until you have the stamp that you want. It took a little bit of work to carve out just the right amount of negative space, but I am pleased with the results.  Because it continued to rain well into the evening, after vespers, I decided to return to the craft cave and make loads more prints, experimenting with the paint in colour and consistency and how the print looked with different levels of pressure and contrasting coloured paper. To be perfectly honest, I could probably live in the craft cave, if they let me. :)

No comments: