Saturday, July 7, 2012

Holden Village- the Cascades

This last month I had the privilege of volunteering at Holden Village for about a month. After two years of seminary education and before I head out to my internship (training starts on SUNDAY! ack!) I concluded that I wanted a little rest and relaxation. What I didn't anticipate was meeting the incredible people gathered there ( I knew that they would be pretty neat, but I think I reach the limits of language in expresses just how neat-o they really are), helping lead worship, feeling supported by a community, learning about the mine remediation project, finding friends with whom I could go running, do yoga, and discuss spiritual, political and cultural matters... and LAUGH... did I mention the laughter? Which leads me to another surprise: I really enjoyed my volunteer placement in housekeeping! More to come in following blogs. I felt that the mountains that surround Holden deserved an entry all on their own. The above photo is taken walking between the labyrinth and the village early in the morning.
The above and below picture were taken before the Wednesday night staff meeting on Chalet Hill (the hill where the chalets are located) Copper River Canyon is one of my favorite scenes at Holden. I liked it so much that I made a lino-cut print of it (see future blog on arts and crafts) Just down the hill from the chalets is where the jacuzzi is located. Perhaps there is no better (certainly no warmer) place to view the stars on a clear night. :)

Days off are few and far between. On one such day, I went on a day long hike to Hart Lake. It was beautiful views the whole way, but I particularly like this view of the lake. Great day for a picnic, no? I take my time off seriously and combining good company and conversation, great scenery and sunshine meant I returned to housekeeping the next day completely rejuvenated. Sabbath people... it will do your heart good.

It is not each person's experience to love the mountains so much, I spoke with one fellow villager about how he missed the rolling hills and seeing to the horizon. I can see that. However, I grew up in Western Washington and I miss the mountains when living in a place with rolling fields. Staying in the valley where Holden Village is located is like being snuggled by mountains. Perhaps that doesn't sound very nice to some, but to me... it is a little piece of heaven.

No comments: