Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wallace Falls

After a great weekend with my family, my friend, Cara, picked me up and we headed into the woods! Cara found a great hike for us near Stevens Pass. I would highly recommend it. The first bit is flat and relatively easy and brings you to the the bottom of the falls, and then there is a steeper portion with takes you to the middle and then top of the falls... it is all beautiful.

How could it not be a beautiful hike when this sign greets you at the beginning of your journey?


There were little white flowers toward the top of the trail. They had perfect five points, most of them, and Cara had the idea that it might be where the stars from the star-bellied sneetches originated. She is probably right.
Sometimes when I go hiking, I am too focused on trying to get to the destination or not tripping, staying on the trail to look up much. That would be a huge mistake on this trail. Cara and I set a meandering catching up with friends and taking all the beauty in pace (my favorite setting for hiking!) When we were toward the top of the trail we looked to see mist rolling through the tops of the trees and all around us. There is no doctoring of the photo above... it was that stunning.

And anyone who knows me well, knows that tree canopies are my favorite view. One day, I will paint the ceiling of my bedroom to look just like this picture:

The hike felt as if we were traipsing through some sort of fairyland.
Cara stopped to notice that the moss on the trees was so thick that it felt like a fur coat! I believe we have the rainy weather of the northwest to thank for that. :)

It was a really beautiful day. I can see how this trail would be popular. I am glad that we went on a Monday when the weather was a bit overcast and rainy. The trail was delightfully deserted for the most part; we had our run of the forest.

No comments: