Friday, October 15, 2010

Peace Vigil

A few weeks ago, Rev. Dr. Mitri Raheb visited our seminary, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary, and spoke about the perspective of Palestinian Christians in the conflict between Palestine and Israel. The discussion reignited a passion in both me and my classmate, Paul to increase community awareness of the occupation as it currently stands. We decided to see if PLTS would let us hold a peace vigil with the theme of breaking down the walls in our world using PLTS facilities. The staff was very supportive and before we knew it we had the means to share a bit of what Paul and I had both experienced during our respective times in the Middle East. Paul has a more extensive experience because he lived in Palestine for a year, whereas I lived in Egypt and visited Palestine. However, we found that the difference in time spent there did not lessen or increase how the deep sadness of the situation affected each of us. Deeply saddened and inspired to action.

For the evening service we opened with a poem by Langston Hughes, "As I Grew Older"

As I Grew Older

Langston Hughs


It was a long time ago.
I have almost forgotten my dream.
But it was there then,
In front of me,
Bright like a sun--
My dream.
And then the wall rose,
Rose slowly,
Slowly,
Between me and my dream.
Rose until it touched the sky--
The wall.
Shadow.
I am black.
I lie down in the shadow.
No longer the light of my dream before me,
Above me.
Only the thick wall.
Only the shadow.
My hands!
My dark hands!
Break through the wall!
Find my dream!
Help me to shatter this darkness,
To smash this night,
To break this shadow
Into a thousand lights of sun,
Into a thousand whirling dreams
Of sun!

We read one of the bible verses that we think helps to emphasis the way in which God works through people to build new life and community and break down the walls within us and between each other: Ephesians 2:14-22 (New International Version)

For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

All this presentation and prayer took place around the back of the PLTS chapel. Thanks to Casey Kloehn for her great picture above! I'm the blur on the left. Thanks also to the prayers from my house group back in Chester. Is so great to connect across the Atlantic through prayer!

Paul crafted the slide show which we projected onto the outside wall of the chapel. I tried to upload it to this post for a few hours, but with no luck. You will have to take my word that it was powerful. Sometimes I find that these issues of occupation seem so overwhelming that there is no hope to be found. What can I do as one person to help? There are a few answers to this question I have asked myself repeatedly. The first answer is that you can pretty much do eff-all.. which is an easy answer to which we can default. However I challenge myself (and you all!) to take the more empowered approach of Margaret Mead when she says: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
As I continue the discernment in the seminary process, considering what I have to offer the world? Where could I possibly be best used by God to make a difference and more toward peace? I find it difficult to not feel so very small in the tapestry of this life. But I think that recognizing that tiny brokenness, which is reality in which we live, allows me to be free! Free to know that whatever I do is God through me to break down barriers and walls in my own life, and in the world around me.

No comments: