Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Statue of Liberty

The second day we woke up early and headed out to the Statue of Liberty. This was a highlight for all of us I would say. My mom's dad, William Sihvo, passed through these ports when he first immigrated to the USA. I've seen the Statue of Liberty before, but not up close and personal. There is a ton of security! Including this doorway you have to walk through that is first a metal detector then little spurts of air shoot all over you to test for drugs. If you visit this place and happen to be wearing a skirt, hold it down when this happens, don't make the same mistake I did and kind of yell with surprise. Sercurity gaurds are generally not hip to people yelping.

There were a variety of statues around the Island in addition to the giant metal "gift" from France. Interestingly I learned that though it was a gift, the great tax payers of New York ended up footing the bill for the platform. There was significant portion of the museum inside of the statue devoted to this countroversy.
I heart New York City. There was also a giant city wide cycle ride on the Saturday when we were crusing the streets. Though I saw many cyclists and longed to join them all. This is the only cyclist I saw with a blow up doll. My question is: Did he start out the ride with this doll? Or aquire it along the way? no way to tell for sure.
We ended the day meet up with my cousins!! yay! We are lucky to have much of our family living close by in Washington state (well, except for me, but when I am living there they are close!) Two of my mom's sister's kids (that's right!) live in NYC. It is rare to get a chance to spend time with them. I think in my adult life I can count the days I've seen them on my hands. In this photo we are sitting in a section of NYC called DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass). Pretty fantastic view of the sunset.

No comments: