Thursday, May 20, 2010

More New York Adventures- Natural History Museum and Rain Showers

A place I have always wanted to visit: The Natural History Museum in New York City. What a truly nerd-a-riffic experience! I kept thinking of my myriad science friends who would have loved the detailed displays in this place. I am partial to the dinosaur exhibits as well as all the under see life in the "giant whale" room. I was not too keen on the room with all the taxidermy animals. Though I agree that they were skillfully done, still a little creepy for my liking.

A group photo in the entrance of the museum without my cousin Bryce who was taking the picture, BUT with a random lady in the background who was unable to move out of the photo fast enough. Life is about balance. A little bit of trivia about the museum is that entrance is actually on a donation basis, so you don't have to pay the 15 dollars if you are unable to. I think that is great! Firstly because I don't know if I could afford a 15 dollar museum trip, and secondly because I think there are a lot of people out there like me who love to learn and think museums should be free like they are in other places in the USA (Washington DC) and in other countries. Mom and Erik at the end of the dino exhibit. wicked cool!!

After we left the museum we headed to Greenwich Village. This is another place I've wanted to visit for a long time, because like the Lake District in England, Greenwich is a place many of my favorite poets (especially from the 1920s) have called home. Though it is not the thriving hippie capitol that it used to be, it is still pretty dang cool. We also managed a unique NYC experience of being caught in a rain shower. The kind of rain shower that there is no escaping (though we tried!) It lasted for the exact amount of time that we were walking from the subway to our destined restaurant. I think we were laughing so hard that no one seemed to mind!

No comments: