Monday, April 26, 2010

Jingo

Oxford English Dictionary defines "Jingoism" as "extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy." Leave it to Terry Pratchett to write a novel, Jingo, bringing the topic into a whole new entertaining light. Something I really like about Terry Pratchett is that I often find myself laughing out loud (and awkwardly on trains and planes) at jokes and his sophisticated social slights. Then I pause to realize that the reason the joke is so funny, is because it is not really a joke, but the same mentality or behavior could readily be observed in society. well done Terry! I won't give too much of the story away, but the title and preceding definition of Jingoism will give you a clue!

I've been really resistant to reading fantasy fiction since... well... since I started reading. Often opting for the classics instead of what I would call "shiny, colourful books". However, now, I wouldn't have it any other way. I still am not a huge fan of the covers of the novels, but the story spun inside are so engrossing and well crafted I happily overlook the cover. :) It is great exploring the Discworld as an adult. I have several friends who grew up on Terry Pratchett, but I am quite liking enjoying his writing not for nostalgic sake, but just because it is damn clever.

So if you are/were like me, and laugh openly at books where the author's name is larger than the title, I would encourage you to give Jingo a try. Don't judge a book by its cover, not this time at least :)

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Good advice. I've received quite a lot of good-natured ribbing when spotted with the colorful, cartoonish, and nerdy cover art that inevitably accompanies Pratchett novels. I'm pretty sure Kelly accused me of reading a fantasy book for grade school children when I started into "The Colour of Magic".

Really, his books have all the layers of social satire you'd expect from quality, enduring literature... they're just wrapped up in clever wordplay and ridiculous plots. :-)