Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Birthday Celebrations!



Birthdays are a funny... I find that people have drastically varied reactions to celebrating their day of birth; some prefer the day to pass unnoticed, and others enjoy all the bells and whistles you can demand on few other days. It may change as I get older, but thus far in my adult life, I have tended to fall into the later category. There is something really great about a chance to gather all your friends and loved ones around you... I suppose that is why I always think of my birthday as a holiday! This year, I wasn't sure how I was going to celebrate. I decided that I wanted to be around all the quality people I have met whilst in England, so I made a facebook invite for everyone to meet at the Faversham Pub near campus. But I am getting ahead of myself... Let's begin at the beginning... or just a little before....

Last Wednesday night signaled the beginning of the season of Lent with the Ash Wednesday Service. I can tell you that few things make you feel your mortality more acutely than hearing "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" the day before you turn another year older. That said, I had some mixed emotions because with the humbling aspect of the Ash Wednesday service, it has always instilled in me a sense of hope... which is a nice way to begin your birthday celebrations :o)

I woke up at 7AM on Thursday the 26th so that my lovely parents could sing to me over skype! Because of the time zone, they stayed up til 11PM the day before, and it was quit funny to see them tired and singing :o) After that, I went to wake up Maddy for a birthday morning walk, and she played Stevie Wonder's Happy Birthday song and we laughed!! Terry and Bara came over for breakfast and we had crepes and cakes and along with Maddy. Starting the day surrounded by friends and laughter is the best. Soon after they left, Tim arrived! with truffles!! :o) I was so happy that when I opened the door to go down and let him in the building and he was right outside my door I let out a little yelp and gave him a big hug :o) Before my seminar I went to meet some friends for coffee and Fiona had made my favorite Apple Cake... so delicious!!

Later in the evening, after I had on my party dress and pink tights, friends from my hall met in my flat to walk up to the Faversham Pub together where we had planned to have dinner and hang out, only to discover (thanks to Jim! phew! well done!) that it closed early that night. So I took the suggestion of going to Viva Latina where we had Tapas and dancing and more people joined us. It was a lovely night! I realized how lucky I am to have friends who make me handmade cards, and cakes, and sing and did everything to make sure I had a really lovely birthday, and I did. I think 27 is going to be the best year yet.

Maddy and I waiting for the lift before we left the Hall. Notice the matching sweater and shirt of Maddy's to the Birthday Badge, tights and my scarf. That's friendship.

Fiona, Bara and I shared some vegetarian tapas. I had a real hankering for nachos... good ones... and there they were!!


Fun table conversation abounds!

Bara explaining how to de-leg and head these things... I love this picture :o)

No comments: