Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The worst museum I ever loved.

This is terrifying to me.
This is the wonderful Natural History portion of the museum in Stoke on Trent. While I learned much in this museum visit and am happy that I spent a few hours there, the natural history portion was terrifying. Was it the low lighting? Was it the knock off taxidermy? or was it that I was completely alone with animals prepared to look alive and ready to attack? Who knows! All I know is that the combination of these factors made me very grateful to move upstairs to the pottery exhibit.
Above: Fiercest predators in England.


This is more like it! Stonke on Trent is a collection of five villages that use to be called "the potteries." They are named as such for their extensive history and contribution to the pottery industry in England. Above is pictured what is called "slip pottery" I liked this bit quite a lot on account of all the earth tones used in the decorating.
Apparently this owl jug was found on Antique Roadshow and is an ancient artifact and example of slip pottery at its finest. Well found BBC! You can read more about the Owl Jug here.
Now I am not one for geese, but this little plate captured me. adorable.
All in all, a great afternoon in Stoke. I do recommend the little cafe on the ground floor of the museum. Great cream filled donut-like pastry things and tea while sitting in front of big picture windows to watch the rain pour and the traffic go by is a nice way to spend the time. (that sounds like I am joking, but I'm not... really is lovely! and no fake animals anywhere!)

No comments: