Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jurgen Moltmann and the end

I'm working on my Systematic Theology final and reading some work by Jurgen Moltmann, Theology of Hope. I really like it, here's a snippet:

“The Christian hope is directed towards a novum ultimum, towards a new creation of all things by the God of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It thereby opens a future outlook that embraces all things, including also death, and into this it can and must also take the limited hopes of a renewal of life, stimulating them, relativizing them, and giving them direction.” (Moltmann, p. 33-34)

pretty beautiful and a nice balance to reading stuff like this (which is from another book for same essay):
"Posttribulationism, like pretribulationism, is primarily a subdivision of premillennialism. Technically all nonpremillennialists are posttribulationists. Few nonpremillinnialists, however, concern themselves with the idea of a tribulation. Thus we may safely limit our treatment of posttribulationism to posttribulationists of premillinnial variety."
When coming across the second section at 10:30pm after working on a paper for hours it is entirely possible that I uttered "s&it" and laughed at the same time. In fact, that is exactly what happened. Then I made another cup of tea. I certainly won't use that quote in my essay, but I have taken some time to parse it out and it is not so crazy as it first reads. But, I won't leave you with that one, here is another from Moltmann:

“Finally, the believing hope will itself provide inexhaustible resources for the creative, inventive imagination of love.” (Moltmann, p. 34)

Wish I would have read that before sending out my Christmas cards. That's all... short blog post as I must return to this essay.

No comments: