
On my first few jet-lagged days in the UK. I headed with Tim up to Sheffield! Sheffield is a northern town known mostly for its cutlery industry, back in the day. The location of Sheffield is great because just outside of town you can go on walks through the woods on Rivelin Valley Path- nice combination of city and countryside.


Above is himalayan balsam. My friend, Jim, introduced me to this invasive species when I first lived in Leeds. It is a crazy flower because when you touch the pods they BURST open to send out their seeds to the world. It always gives me a jump!

This waterfall makes me look like a giant... which I kind of think is funny. It is actually the waterfall that is small and not me having grown to be larger than life. :)

Tim walking across the water over one of the abandoned stone paths.


Inside the Sheffield Cathedral (above) outside it (below) I think that they are on to something with the decorating. Perhaps I will add a similar tribute to my new apartment.... probably not... But it was really beautiful inside. I took many photos, but it didn't seem to do the stained class justice. You'll have to go see it for yourself. :)


As I said, Sheffield has a history with industry and the city has recently pumped quite a bit of funds into revamping the city centre. I think that they did a good job of reflecting the industrial past of Sheffield in the public art instillation around town. Many of the pieces had both steel and water in their composition which gave the art of the city a unified feel.

This one was my favorite. At night, lights would illuminate this field of steel spheres and water.. it was really beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment