Today, Maddy, Terry and I gathered ourselves down to the Leeds Station and took a train to York! It was quite the adventure for me, my first day trip while staying in Leeds. In order to make the most authentic experience possible, Maddy was looking for a Pub in which we could have lunch. Instead we found a great chippery and I had what were, I have to say, the best fish and chips of my life, I even enjoyed the "mushed peas" which I photographed here. I have seen this on menus often, and was never quite sure what to make of it, but there it is, and with a little salt, quite tasty...mushed peas... not just for babies anymore.
One of the "must see's of York is an adventure called: Jorvik. This museum traces the history of my ancestors and asks... are you a viking? Turns out, I'm not really, can't even seem to get the helmet to stay on my head properly. While riding through this simulated city on a Disney type ride, one can't help byt notice the damp dreary smell and the less than cheerful scenes of life during the viking era make me think, hey... I'm glad to be here and now. One interesting aspect of the simulated underground viking village is that they actually simulated people from the village through computer generated images using skulls found in the excavation site. What that means is that the big mannequins in the exhibithad a good chance of actually resembling the people from the town of Jorvik. whooooooooooa. Though the trip through the time machine was a root tootin good time, I did not really enjoy the taxidermy animals through out the ride...
I did get us a bit lost toward the end of the day, but I REALLY wanted to walk along the historic walls, built in the 13th century, that surround the city... so we walked a bit and then a bit further... and we could see the train station, just not, you know... get to it.. haha. Terry asked if I was on duty, and I was just making sure everything was in order, and the answer is... of course... and centuries later, the wall is still well built and will keep invaders out, and us... um... in :o)
1 comment:
I want to go to York! Did you have a York Peppermint Patty while you were there?
Post a Comment