Sunday, April 13, 2008

From the Airport

1. When approaching JFK airport the chances of a Lincoln Continental being either in front or behind you while driving is... um... well.. guaranteed. Probability of 1.

2. When you drive through the correct lanes on the toll bridge, people are much nicer to you than when you screw it up big time.

3. Even the pizza in the airport in New York blows my mind.

4. They L-U-V dunkin donuts in these them parts... I tell you what. I am not sure if that is the end all beat all coffee of New England, but there sure are a number of these little gems around.

5. Along the river in my scenic drive to and from work everyday and then on my way to the city today I noticed this phenomenon of large wooden stars attached to the side of houses. The best I can imagine is that this is some sort of house fashion.. maybe aligned with various types of rooster decorations within the home? or wicker furniture?

6. There were a fair amount of people riding motorcycles without helmets yesterday on my scenic byway... scary... I do NOT like driving behind them and definitely give them about ten car lengths.. just in case. So if you ride a motorcycle... or a regular bike.. I urge you please, wear your helmets :o)

7. This is a lovely poem that Tom sent to me reflecting on our conversation about whether or not it is selfish to follow your dreams and pour your talents into the arts... I love this poem, it is by Wislawa Szymborska:

Under One Small Star

My apologies to chance for calling it necessity.
My apologies to necessity if I'm mistaken, after all.
Please, don't be angry, happiness, that I take you as my due.
May my dead be patient with the way my memories fade.
My apologies to time for all the world I overlook each second.
My apologies to past loves for thinking that the latest is the first.
Forgive me, distant wars, for bringing flowers home.
Forgive me, open wounds, for pricking my finger.
I apologize for my record of minuets to those who cry from the depths.
I apologize to those who wait in railway stations for being asleep today at five a.m.
Pardon me, hounded hope, for laughing from time to time.
Pardon me, deserts, that I don't rush to you bearing a spoonful of water.
And you, falcon, unchanging year after year, always in the same cage,
your gaze always fixed on the same point in space,
forgive me, even if it turns out you were stuffed.
My apologies to the felled tree for the table's four legs.
My apologies to great questions for small answers.
Truth, please don't pay me much attention.
Dignity, please be magnanimous.
Bear with me, O mystery of existence, as I pluck the occasional thread from your train.
Soul, don't take offense that I've only got you now and then.
My apologies to everything that I can't be everywhere at once.
My apologies to everyone that I can't be each woman and each man.
I know I won't be justified as long as I live,since I myself stand in my own way.
Don't bear me ill will, speech, that I borrow weighty words,
then labor heavily so that they may seem light.


8. paper cuts suck, and when you are grading almost 70 SAT tests... you are going to acquire a few paper cuts... boo.

9. Sometimes I have the best of intentions... like now. I meant to be productive having such a long time before my flight and this Internet access and all my work here with me. I could feel guilty about that, or I could fully embrace this time of mind relaxation and fold my pizza in half and eat each bite slowly... There are benefits to filling every moment of everyday, mostly in the amount produced, but I don't think it is directly correlated to the amount lived. I have filled almost every moment here in Connecticut, squeezing every last bit out of this trip. But now I need to relax a little. Pretend that I was on vacation, and return to Seattle with that mentality... refreshed and rejuvenated.... So instead of grading tests and inputting scores and writing letters... I am writing to you blog land friends, and when I am finished (which will be awkwardly at 9 observations..) I will peruse through the magazines at Hudson News, maybe buy a donut and settle down to read a book... and what of my 6+ hour flight you say? well... sounds like a good time for some poetry and a nap :o) My to-do list will always be there, faithful companion that she is...

No comments: