Thursday, January 20, 2011

the Distillery District... pictures of Hot Chocolate.

On my day off, I decided to wander to the Distillery District in Toronto. On the way I noticed these massive icicles on all the houses. I took a photo of them as all I could think of was the scene in The Christmas Story where he pretends to be hit by an icicle instead of confessing to shooting his eye out... it was pretty amusing.
The Distillary District use to be a place where alcohol was produced and sold to the United States during the prohibition. However in recent years these abandoned Warehouses transformed into a collection of higher end boutiques, coffee shoppes and art galleries. It is a relatively self-contained area, which is good because the neighborhood surrounding is a bit dodgy.I loved this fixture. In this area there are all sorts of interesting art installations where form meets function, this was my favorite of the lot.
Speaking of favorites... I am no stranger to fine chocolate and had the benefit of living with a Belgian chocolate fiend at one point where I was schooled in all the finer points of this delicious food. I found a chocolate shoppe where the liquid above was served as shown below.Definitely food for the gods. I recommend this place to bring a book and have a little chocolate reading time... a great way to warm up on a cold afternoon.

The photo below is me trying to capture the chocolate making process in the background. They had glass windows so you could watch the raw cocoa being shaped into the delicious liquid heaven I was drinking or the chocolate bars for purchase in the store.
I think this is the most pictures I have taken by myself featuring a hot beverage... that means it is delicious. Plus I liked the colour blue of the wall behind me.

One aspect of Toronto that I really enjoyed is this whole Old World meets New World visible in the architecture all around the city. This is just one of the many examples below, a great older (I'll use older instead of old because it may be old for Toronto, but would be considered a new build in most parts of say, England) nestled in front of two giant skyscrapers. I loved the contrast.
Finally, this perfect day of wandering around, eating chocolates and dodging icicles was complete with a dinner in a pub. I ordered the special of fish and chips and a pint of Kilkenny. Kilkenny is a fantastic Irish cream ale that is not widely available in the United States. If you like a nice pint now and again I recommend this when you come across it.
I enjoyed a few weeks of snow in Toronto, but am pleased to be back in weather where I can wear flip flops most of the time... but the snow was pretty.

No comments: