Saturday, January 30, 2010

Delamere Forest with Kas

I was looking forward to this Saturday all week. I am really grateful to be pretty fully employed between my two jobs, and especially because when I get a day off I really want to make the most of it. I had an idea that I wanted to get out into the wilderness of some kind, hug the trees and listen to ducks laugh so when I received a text from my friend, Kas, about how it might be nice to go to Delamere Forest, I said. yup! sounds good! Not only was today Saturday, but it was also very sunny, freezing, but sunny :)
There is a pretty sizable lake in the middle of the forest and we walked the path around it, this picture doesn't do it justice, it was so lovely, still, bright, of course my camera batteries died... so these photos are courtesy of Kas. Thanks Kas!
This is Kas, we met at Christ Church, she is great. In a few months she will be re-joining YWAM in Hawaii and follow where God is leading. I've said it before and I will say it again: I am not sure what I did to deserve the friends that God puts in my life (and I am not sure I do deserve them, how could one person be so lucky??) but for all of the amazing people who have touched my life, I am grateful.
We packed a picnic and sat by the lakeside in the sun to enjoy it. Kas brought apples among other treats and I think perhaps I just have not enjoyed apples in a long time. I may have over-dosed on them during my MA, but this apple today was SO DELICIOUS. So our conversation was sprinkled with little interjections of this apple is so good! And I thought I didn't like eating them unless they were sliced. I guess people can change, even me.
This is a picture of Kas balancing over the water. It was such a beautiful day and I think I am going to round it off with some roasted mushrooms for dinner (people can change!!) with carrots and salad. Because although it was sunny, it was freezing outside today. Delamere forest is a close 20 minute train ride from Chester and I hope to make more frequent visits. One thing is for sure, being outdoors today reminded me how important it is for me to re-energize in nature. I kept thinking of a Thoreau quote that a friend told me a few years back:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Thoreau from Walden 1854

I maintain that going outside into the forest, even for a day, does wonders to lift one's spirit.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Three cheers for sliced apples! They almost belong in a different food group. :-)

Kelly M said...

Roast mushrooms? Amazing. Looks like a beautiful time! It was good to talk with you yesterday!